Eco-design in Rhône-Alpes
Benefits for businesses,
for the economy and for the environment
Leaving aside a great many of the definitions of the term, eco-design means creating a more environmentally friendly product offering (goods or services), available to consumers and buyers.
In other words, an eco-design approach means taking the environment into account at the design stage of a product or service, and at all stages of its life cycle. (AFNOR 2004).
In short, an approach to products, their life cycle, some compromises - a real company initiative that has been shown to be profitable! The Pôle éco-conception (Eco-design centre) based in the Rhône-Alpes region and specifically in Saint-Etienne conducted a study of 120 companies in 2013 on the economic feedback from an eco-design approach.
- The profit margin of eco-designed products is 12% higher on average compared to conventional products
- The smaller the company, the higher the chances of getting a return on its eco-design activities
- Eco-design has a positive effect on company profits
How can you get involved?
In Rhône-Alpes there are a number of solutions to help you:
The Pôle éco-conception is your resource centre for this initiative. It offers specific tools, support and expertise to reduce your overall costs and improve your organizational practices.
The environment officers of the chamber of commerce network:
PRIME collective action
Programme Régional d’Innovation et Management par l’Eco-conception, (Regional innovation and management programme for eco-design), which has many aims:
- Demonstrate that eco-design can be an asset for companies
- Identify issues specific to one's company
- Benefit from the dissemination of eco-design tools and methods
- Receive customized support through the most appropriate regional action initiatives
Individual aid from ADEME
To help companies evaluate the environmental impact of their products throughout their life cycle, ADEME provides funding through its Decision-making aids (PDF - 348.1Ko).
The INNOV'R initiative
A call for projects for companies wishing to improve the environmental performance of their products (goods or services) on the market.
Find out more about the INNOV’R® site